Sunday, March 22, 2009

Whoot! Wookieepedia :)

Wiki's... I know them. I like them. And I can't believe Wookieepedia is on the recommended have a look list! With my sort of life I generally will open a wiki and have a browse to discover the information I need - For work or for my own personal life. You can find a wiki for just about anything and everything and I already knew of the star wars one for I read over it quite often back when I use collect the star wars miniatures game and read the New Republic series of books to find out about the characters I was collecting. At the moment I've used it quite often to pull up stats and historalic information on world war II and battles surrounding it so we can somewhat recreate them in our Axis and Allies games.

A few of the links were to libraries who used their wiki's much like a forum to get information out there about their library and what they are doing. I also noticed one of the wiki's was being used to catalog the book reviews they had recieved - Which is one way of dealing with the problem of how to best present book reviews.

One library broke down the library, and how it was present by branches, locations, phone numbers, associations and then also supplied their services and series by a title page link system which was quite easy to use when broken down into catagories then again by topic headings.

One of ways of communicating with the outside world a wiki could be a important source of information on everything to do with the library especially if you allowed all the members to edit the topics when concerning novels and the series. Even just allowing the staff to edit and change could be a nifty thing if the staff is larger.

Anywho, onto ... media online stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment