Monday, March 23, 2009

Task 12 - The Finale

Although I could say I knew alot about the internet already when taking on this course I can say that it has shown me some neat sites and possibilities that I hadn't explored and shown me that I was a little naive with my thoughts on what I was limited to doing on my computer was by the software I had when there was so much free things you could use for the same effect. Bravo web 2.0!

That said, lets answer task 12. Facebook, myspace, bebo, live profile (Which can be used by an xbox console as well as a computer to communicate) and things like that as dominating the way we currently communicate. As long as I can remember using the internet things like MSN chats have been hugely popular - The ability to conveniently hold several conversations without having to be near eachother or on a phone and as technology has increased, now you can have webcam conversations called "Video conferences" on just about everything including chat programs like yahoo, msn and even Skype a very popular talking program. People feel safe when using these things to talk to others, and allows them to express themselves without the same fears of reprisal which makes them very very popular because people can be themselves without little things like their "mouths" getting in the way.
Now, lets take a idealistic glance at using it for a business or library. I know libraries have made a facebook page and use it to get their information out there about their services and ease at which customers can find things out. Facebook notifies friends (which in this case members?) when there is a profile update which could be a event or even some new hot titles coming out. I can see it working and being popular due to it could just slot into the use they are already having of facebook and the internet conveniently and advertising almost as they enjoy they're community online base. However, this could also be seen as bad form from a business view I would think and not as official as a business should be.

So would it work? Yes, I think it would, and be quite popular. Is it appropriate? I'd have to lean towards no - simply because it's not your a real person and if it was suppose to be used this way people could just subscribe to the libraries online updates as a choice rather then using facebook or some other such site which keeps it more official. Not that I'm saying it's a terrible idea! Marketing wise, bands are doing it now, and alot. But... Is it the way we want the libraries to go? That's questions that will be asked for years as well as other businesses I would think.

I'd rather the business created a social network of its own through its own website by making mailing lists, forums, blogs, voting polls, link lists, all this wonderful stuff but off their own website in summery. A forum especially could be HUGE to get people interested in the library and everything about it.

I also can't believe a mention of Second Life found its way onto the program heh. Second Life is highly addictive and so far I've kept away from it but I know of it! I was heavily into World of Warcraft for the better part of two and a half years and I have to say those things can chew up alot of your time. I'd definitely say that a library on Second Life would take more time to run and manage then is worth the effort, also you'd want to keep people off online and actually coming into the library for books so I'd discard the entire idea personally :)

Finally, I would like to thank you for the opportunity to do this online, smoothly and easily at my own pace and I have enjoyed the entire program.

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad that you enjoyed the course. I like the way you kept the game theme going through your blog.

    Ellen (PLS)

    ReplyDelete