Thursday, March 19, 2009

I touched on this last time...



Last time I touched on that I enjoyed movies and gaming so this time I thought I'd mention more those games I find myself pouring endless hours into. At the moment this one such game I constantly play with a friend, - It can also be played online with a total of 4 players and 4 "infected" players trying to hunt them down heh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gogdog/3042999356/

The idea of the game is simple, there has been a zombie apolocolpyse and now they plague the streets looking for those lucky few survivors who are immune to the desease. The games story is much like the story from the game 28 days later and it's sequal 28 weeks later, where the zombies are created from a virus strain that causes them to enrage and attack other people rather then being actual "living dead corpses". It also incorporates the idea of "special" infected who can be controled by players to hunt the survives online, these stray away from the very good theme but add a challenge to the game that the designers felt was needed.
The game is done with steams wonderful valve engine, that was used in the game Counter-Strike source. They actually got the idea while play testing counter-strike against things called "Bots" which are Artifical controled characters who are run by game using pre-designed code. These bots can never be as good as players, but hordes of these with knives rushing them gave them the desire to make a thrilling game about zombies in the same style where players fight through the stage to make a safehouse and eventually evacuation.

Computer games such as Compant of Heroes, Dawn of War II and Halo Wars are also absorbing some of my time currently. I also play a bit of a board game called Axis and Allied Miniatures by Wizards of the Coast (Who are now a huge game retailer!). But I'll leave these alone as I've already had a good rant about Left 4 Dead... And yes I -will- leave people for dead to make that safe house.

S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment